Trinity Lutheran Church had its beginning along with Zion Evangelical and Reformed Church
as united congregations sharing a church building in 1787 in Arendtsville. The building
stood where the present bank now stands. The first recorded communion held by the
Lutherans was on March 9, 1790. By 1880, the membership of both congregation had grown.
In 1881 a congregational meeting was held for the consideration of building a separate church
for the Lutherans. A site on North High Street was selected for the building that was finished
on September 27, 1882 at a cost of $8,000. This is where Trinity Lutheran still stands.
Many renovations were made over the years to include the addition of Sunday School space and a kitchen. With the
moving of chairs and tables in the main youth Sunday school rooms, we have a sizable room for social activities. For many
years we shared a joint pastorate with Flohr’s Lutheran Church located between McKnightstown and Cashtown. In 1954 the
two congregations voted to separate. We have been on our own since then.